Coin-operated rides in shopping malls come in many shapes as sizes. Sometimes the rides even come in children’s favourite characters such as Ultraman and Bert & Ernie from Sesame Street. They are indeed fun for families but there may be a hidden danger in those rides.
While most of these kiddie rides are relatively safe, parents need to be extra vigilant when it comes to children’s safety.
This is because an 11-month-old boy was electrocuted to death in Fuzhou, Fujian province last Thursday after riding one of the cars.
His grandfather placed him by the stairs behind the machine after a ride on the car toy. What the poor grandfather did not realize was there was a live wire poking out from the machine.
Out of curiosity, the boy touched the live wire and was instantly knocked unconscious.
He was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Police have taken the faulty machine away and held the store owner for further investigation. Currently, the case is not treated as a criminal case but would probably end in a civil lawsuit.
The shop after the incident. Source: qq.com
It’s also important to note that children have lost their fingers when they poked their fingers into holes in the machine as it moves back and forth.
So, parents, please remind your children not to touch open wires and not to stick their fingers into any holes of the kiddie ride! It’s also important to explain why it’s dangerous to do so.
When it comes to electrical toys, make sure to look out for any loose wires because both insulated and exposed wires can harm children. It’s better to be safe than sorry, always!