Another fun and yummy cooking activity for the family! This week you can prepare these tasty Sloppy Joe Sliders for lunch at home with help from your tiny sous chefs.
Duration: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 sliders
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- Kosher salt
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup frozen crinkle-cut baby carrots
- ½ cup frozen baby corn
- 8 potato sliders buns
- 1 cup thinly shredded red cabbage
- ¼ cup dill pickle chips
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add ground beef and stir until the beef begins to brown (takes about 4 minutes)
3. Stir in the chilli powder and 1 teaspoon of salt
4. Continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
5. Drain off excess liquid and add back 2 tablespoons of it.
6. Start reducing the heat to low and stir in ketchup, sugar, vinegar and ½ cup of water. Let it simmer.
7. Stir occasionally until the sauce is slightly thickened (takes about 8 minutes).
8. Stir in the corns and carrots. Cook, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender and heated through (takes about 5 minutes).
9. Finally, scoop some sauce onto 1 half of each slider bun and top with a handful of shredded cabbage and a pickle chip and serve.
How can the kids help?
For the younger kids, let them measure out the vegetables.
For the older kids, teach them how to stir the meat and assemble the sliders.
Why don’t you add some cheese?